Friday, February 18, 2011

Scuba Frog

My nephew recently celebrated his birthday.  We had the opportunity to see him and his family in early December when they made the trip from Florida to Ohio.  I had planned on crocheting a stuffed animal for my niece and nephew as one of their Christmas presents, but those plans turned out to be a little overly ambitious.  I don't know why this past Christmas found me even more frazzled than usual.


Oh, yeah.  

I told my nephew when I saw him that I had wanted to make him something and since I didn't finish it in time for Christmas, I would make it a birthday present.  I asked him, specifically, how he felt about frogs.  Don't all little boys like frogs?


Also I had been dying for a reason to make this frog - he's from a book I bought over a year ago that is so full of cute things to crochet.  I love the way he turned out.  But, would my sweet nephew like him?

After visiting with him in December I learned a critical piece of information.    My nephew LOVES all things scuba.  He's fairly obsessed.  But in a healthy, kid-like way, of course.  He first greeted us wearing a backpack, which his mom quickly explained as his "scuba pack."  So cute.  Then I noticed how he would strap a small, wooden block to the back of his little stuffed dinosaur and declare him a "scuba T-rex."  So, after further discussion, my nephew and I decided that he needed a scuba frog.



 
I've been fairly obsessed with scuba frog.  My latent perfectionist tendencies wouldn't let me stop working on him until he was just right.  I could have easily continued to obsess over scuba frog for much longer, but I wanted my nephew to have him sometime relatively close to his birthday. The cashier at Target probably thought it was a bit odd for someone to come in at 9:30 at night just to purchase swim goggles.  In February.  It's also the only time in my life that I've walked out of Target with only ONE thing.   I do admit, though, that it was hard to put him in the mail.  I've become quite fond of him.  The boys have enjoyed the journey and process of making him, too.



 In fact, scuba frog has really made himself at home around here.








But, off to Florida he goes, to be with a little boy who will hopefully love him as much as I imagine he will.  And if he doesn't, then please don't tell me.






Due to popular demand, fun photo Friday will return next week.  Now I am off to celebrate a very important someone's birthday this weekend! More on that later...

Have a great weekend!

~ Dori











2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You are so thoughtful and talented! I wish I could have seen the look on his face when he opened Scuba Frog!!!

Dori said...

Thanks Elizabeth! :)