Saturday, January 22, 2011

Abandoning the Golden Rule


I would like to rant write about what I refer to as "common decency" or The Golden Rule.  That is, treating others as you yourself would like to be treated.  Pretty simple concept.  You would think. 

decency [ˈdiːsənsɪ]
n pl -cies
1. (Sociology) conformity to the prevailing standards of propriety, morality, modesty, etc.
2. the quality of being decent

 
I had an experience this week that was a reminder to me of how we should all treat people - with  courtesy and respect.  I will not go into the details of what happened, let's just say that I was surprised by the rather un-Christian-like attitude demonstrated by some members of a group I belong to.  But, really, all it takes is a trip to Walmart to find examples of how not to treat people.


Now, I am as imperfect as the next person, but sometimes I am struck by the lack of common decency exhibited by people.    Honking at the car in front of you because it hasn't started to move a millisecond after the light turns green. Letting the door slam closed rather than taking the time to just turn around and check if someone is entering close behind you (like a mom and her four children perhaps).  My parents raised me to not only say "please" and "thank you" but to show compassion and thought for others. And now it is my challenge to pass that lesson on to my own children.  


We still have some work to do on our "pleases" and "thank yous" around here, but as I watch each of the boys interacting with the people and world around them I see kind, thoughtful moments that lead me to believe that they are on the right track.  I hope that they will always treat others with respect and kindness.  

 
I suppose it's also encouraging that they will point out examples of people treating others poorly whenever they see it.  They'll witness another kid mouthing off to their mom and just look at me like "Wow. There's no way I would ever talk to you like that." In order to know how to act towards one another it's just as important to know how NOT to act.  A basic concept that on most days my kids seem to get.  Which is, unfortunately, more than I can say for a lot of grown-ups out there. 


  It's very easy to get caught up in believing that we are right and therefore, everyone else who has something even slightly different to say than us is wrong.  But most of the time it's not about being right or wrong, it's about each of us being unique and therefore thinking and acting differently from one another.  And isn't it just easier and better to assume that most people have good intentions?  That whatever they have to say is worthy of at least being listened to?  I am naive to a fault.  My husband says it's endearing.  I say I simply refuse to be bitter and cynical whenever possible.  Perhaps God puts people in our path like the ones I encountered this week simply to challenge us on what we believe and how we act.  And to provide us with lessons and learning experiences for our children.


That is the end of my rant.  If you're still with me then thank you for listening.  I challenge all of us to not honk our horns, to hold the door for people and to simply smile and say please and thank you.  Also to listen to someone who might have something to say and to be as visible as we can with setting these examples for our children.

 Coming soon....a post about some things that the boys have been up to: Star Lab (anyone else remember that from elementary school?),  Tae Kwon Do,  art projects, a tour of a seminary and an upcoming birthday.  Also "Homeschooling Part 2" wherein I will attempt to describe the reasons why we home school.  I know you're giddy with anticipation. 

~ Dori


3 comments:

Elizabeth Glenn said...

great post! I couldn't agree more about the lack of common decency that has taken over our society. It seems in this day and age there is an attitude or perhaps an overwhleming sense of "entitlement" that the general masses have adopted and it sickens me. It is a "me, me, ME!!!" world and all the more reason we also strive to teach our children that we live our life with compassion, respect, and (since we are Catholic) as though we ARE children of God. It is through us, through our actions, attitudes, and behaviors that we demonstrate to EVERYONE (believers and non) what that means. Anyways..Im rambling,but GREAT post! haha!

Liz

Ashley said...

I really like this post as well. The Golden Rule is something my Dad probably was saying as I was being born....as it is one of his all-time staple phrases. With that, empathy is a huge part. The GR is pretty easy to do when you can put yourself in someone elses' shoes in a given situation. They have a complete symbiotic relationship. Great post Dori!

Elizabeth said...

Isn't it amazing just how inconsiderate and unthoughtful people can be? Except of themselves? It really doesn't take much effort to say hold a door, and the effect it can have on someone (say, someone with 4 kids!) is much greater than the effort it took. I love the Golden Rule and probably say it to my kids more than any other phrase. Thank you for your reflection on this!