Saturday, October 27, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up #2


Anyone else trying desperately to cling to fall?  I cringe as I see Christmas decorations and holiday ads moving their way into stores and onto t.v. Don't get me wrong, I love the Christmas season, but it's OCTOBER for peat's sake. So around here we'll continue to relish these remaining days of fall, thankyouverymuch. 


This week we finally made some progress with our Book of Centuries. This is an idea that I've been wanting to put into action for awhile now, especially since I read more about it in one of Maureen Wittmann's books.  I think it was "For the Love of Literature," since that's the latest book of hers that I read. It's an idea that's cropped up in many things I've read, though, so I was excited to finally get ours started.


A Book of Centuries is basically a history timeline in book form.  I'm using the Free Book of Centuries Printable Timeline from R.C. History (there's B.C. and A.D.), along with Ancient History Timeline Cards. Of course, we'll also add other things as we go along, depending on the activities we do as we study each period of history.


I printed the cards out, then sorted them by what we've already studied and what we're currently studying and then the boys added those to the book. We mostly follow a Classical Method in our homeschooling, so we are studying history chronologically, starting at the very beginning. I think our Book of Centuries will be a great way to record what we've learned and to also provide a visual and (hopefully) thorough book of information that the boys will enjoy reviewing.


History and Religion are subjects that we do all together, but I do some separate lessons and activities with Matthew, too, since he's only in First Grade. This week, we talked about angels and he made a Guardian Angel prayer card and practiced saying the prayer. Which reminds me that I promised him I would laminate it for him.

I know, ANY excuse to laminate something!


This week we had a Cub Scout meeting and my Bear Den joined the Webelo Den to listen to a talk and demonstration from the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District. They talked all about how they test the water quality of the different areas here in our part of Ohio and we also learned about fish and bug habits.


We carried on the water theme back at home for our science this week. We did three of the activities from our Magic School Bus kit about water, the first one being to test whether different objects will sink or float.  The boys quickly determined that the metal objects sank and the wood and plastic objects floated. Then we talked about how a large metal object, like a submarine, can float. Using a coffee can and a tube, the boys took turns blowing air into the can to demonstrate how this happens.


Then we came inside and tested how well different substances would dissolve in water.



Needless to say, the boys had fun and thoroughly enjoyed learning new things about water. We'll do the rest of the kit next week.


In a moment of genius/desperation, I got out the play-doh to keep the toddler happy and quiet. "Genius" because it actually worked and "desperate" because, well, it's play-doh.  So I think I'll keep this as a during-school-time-only activity. 

Whatever works, right?

This book was a bargain find on one of my Half Price Books shopping sprees - it was $1.00! It even included Presidents and States flash cards (which, of course, I laminated).

We've also been talking about the upcoming election. Michael has watched all of the debates and Thomas stayed awake for two of them. Kevin and I have enjoyed hearing the insightful analysis of an eight and ten year old!


We've used the related BrainPop videos (LOVE BrainPop!) to learn about topics like the Presidential Election, Branches of the Government,  and Political Parties. The Scholastic site also has information and activities for kids that I hope to explore more with the boys. I understand that the Electoral Challenge Game is especially helpful in clearing up the confusing topic of the Electoral College for kids (and, uh, some of us adults). I also ordered this book, on the recommendation of others, and we'll be using it more next week to continue our discussion.


That about sums up our week. The more interesting parts, anyway. Since I know you don't want to hear about the MOUNTAIN of laundry I tackle every day, or the unspeakable messes I have to clean due to having children, pets and a husband.  On my fun list of "to-dos" for the weekend? Tackle the seasonal changes in clothing. I started this project last weekend, became quickly overwhelmed and left it. Which was fine, since we ended up having beautiful weather this week. But, it really is time to dig out the long-sleeves now.

Hope you had a great week! 

~ Dori

 

No comments: